Shenandoah Pulp Mill Ruins
Shenandoah Pulp Mill Ruins

Shenandoah Pulp Mill Ruins

Regular price $30.00

Thomas Savery built the water-powered Shenandoah Pulp Mill on Virginius Island, near Harpers Ferry in 1887-88. Located on the Shenandoah Canal's lower lock, wood was ground into pulp to produce paper, until the mill closed in 1935. The final blow was cast by the flood of 1936, which swept away most of the structure, leaving behind only the stone piers which once housed the turbine water wheels.